Happy Valentine's Day, Internet.
Here is my latest limited edition of hand drawn and printed V-Day cards.
For my birthday a few years ago, Jeremie and his dad made me an amazing table-top printing press. I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't used it until this project. It's always been within reach, waiting for me to stub my toe and remind me that it's there. This was the perfect project to try it out.
I love the multiple steps of creating a block print because you have a different finished piece at so many stages. I'm sure there's an easier way to go about this, but here was my process:
- Draw out the design
- Scan it onto the computer and flip the image in Photoshop
- Print it out
- Cover the back of the printout with graphite
- Tape the print to the linoleum block
- Trace over the drawing to transfer the graphite onto the linoleum
- Remove the paper and retrace the lines of the drawing with a pen
- Begin cutting away the negative space in the linoleum
- Stop the cat from eating shavings and tools. Repeat.
- Cover the finished linoleum cut with ink
- Place onto paper and into the press
Donezo. You have a print and an awesome thing to send the people in your life that you love but don't get to see enough.